On April 27, 2017, Amazon announced Echo Look, an upcoming product that will incorporate a camera into the already-existing services that Echo provides.
A first glance at Echo Look can be seen below.
Amazon lists the following as product features for Echo Look:
- Everything you love about Alexa, and now she can help you look your best
- Using just your voice, easily take full-length photos and short videos with a hands-free camera that includes built-in LED lighting, depth-sensing camera, and computer vision-based background blur
- See yourself from every angle with the companion app. Build a personal lookbook and share your photos.
- Get a second opinion on which outfit looks best with Style Check, a new service that combines machine learning algorithms with advice from fashion specialists
- Echo Look helps you discover new brands and styles inspired by your lookbook
- Ask Alexa to read the news and audiobooks, set alarms, get traffic and weather updates, control smart home devices, play music, and more
- Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills like Starbucks, Fitbit, NPR, and more
Echo Look seems to be focused on fashion and apparel, and is planning on collecting information to better serve their customers when shopping for clothing.
For apparel brands, Echo Look has the potential to change the way people discover clothing products. Amazon states that Echo Look will allow users to “view recommendations based on your daily look,” and is “always getting smarter,” opening up the following questions: How will Amazon make these recommendations? Will brands and sellers need to pay for marketing to be shown to customers? Will Amazon determine the price range of recommendations based on socioeconomic status? Who will have access to the data that is stored about customers?
Customers can request an invitation to be one of the first to purchase Echo Look.